Thursday, January 26, 2006

manderlay, schmanderlay

Last night when Allie and I were talking on the phone she was complaining about how Landmark Theatres haven't had any screenings since Matt Cowal left. Then I reminded her that Landmark has never had a screening since I moved to L.A.!

I should bitch about that more often, because I got an email inviting me to get on the list for one this morning. I was so excited, I noted just the title (which clearly didn't register, because I've read about the movie) and Danny Glover from the banner and promptly responded. I mean, really, I watch just about anything and I knew it wasn't sci-fi or horror, so why not?

So I gleefully told Allie this afternoon. She promptly responded, "You won't like it." So I went back to the email to figure out why. It's a fucking Lars von Trier movie. Oh how I hate him, let me count the ways. His movies are painful. I can't handle the insane, irrational behavior of his heroines (e.g. Bjork in Dancer in the Dark and Emily Watson in Breaking the Waves--not even Jean-Marc Barr's presence can salvage these films). I refused to see Dogville when I had the opportunity. And now this is the damn sequel to it.

Oh man. Will I go? Well, it's on the Westside, it's Lars von Trier, but it's free and the topic is at least interesting... I don't know. Will I get on the list? Who wants to torture themselves by going with me? This is double-torture, because you will have to endure the film AND any possible bitching about it from me. Of course that should be a standard warning, but some things I'm more likely to hate than others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home