Friday, January 27, 2006

imagine me & my romantic comedy fetish

The last two days have been about tactics to evade the maid. I just don't like to be here when she goes about her business. But she has failed to show either day, which irritates me. I could have been productive. Would I have been? Well, I guess we'll never know.

Anyway, one of my "unproductive" tasks to be out of the house included watching Imagine Me & You at Laemmle Sunset 5 on the Sunset Strip. I had other plans, but a series of things didn't follow them through so here I am writing.

I am a total sucker for romantic comedies. Who the fuck knows why. Probably because I crave that disgusting display of affection in my own life. Some ridiculous girlie, primal desire I can't shake. But I'm also a skeptic and just a bit cynical (you think?) and don't believe romantic comedy romance actually exists. That love at first sight business? Eh. Lust at first sight, yes. Hell, I have that multiple times a day.

And this is a really bad time for movies, have you noticed? Nothing of interest is coming out for another two weeks, so I thought, I'm going to this one. I liked the trailor, which I saw for the first time in front of Match Point also featuring Matthew Goode. I nearly went to the advance (though not free) screening at the Egyptian Theatre as part of their OutFest on Wednesday (too much hassle). But I prefer near-empty theaters. This one had maybe twenty people--most of them lesbian couples. There were some men in there, each solo, which I found interesting. The middle-aged ones may have been gay, but there was a twenty-something that didn't give me that vibe. No I'm not saying I judge people by what movies they go to see (hello, straight girl with big dick on the brain went to see a lesbian romantic comedy), but let's face it, it's fun to speculate.

Back to the film. I liked it, but I would have been perfectly fine to see it on DVD. It has more than the Notting Hill neighborhood in common with Notting Hill, I thought: goofy customers, the climax leading to the ending, and a general vibe of it (sort of selling American comedies by the English to the Americans). For the first time that I can remember, the male lead is more sympathetic than the female one. Generally it's about equal, but for me, this had a decidedly bias toward the guy, the one being jilted, which made me cry (yeah, I get really vulnerable in romantic comedies). And that's ok. Rachel and Luce can have each other. I'll take Heck (I know, weird, but it's short for Hector). Matthew Goode is sexxxy. Like a more mature, English Topher Grace (though don't we all agree Topher looked his best in Ocean's Twelve?).

Now I know why I like romantic comedies so much. Lust at first sight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home