Sunday, September 25, 2005

88 comments

On Thursday night I attempted to pick up straight men in West Hollywood. I wore my homemade "i ♥ skinny rock 'n' roll boys in suits" shirt to The 88 Show at The Troubadour. It didn't work, but some woman was starting at my tits during a good part of The 88's set. Maybe she couldn't read.

L.A. is a very weird place. You haven't heard that before? What an eclectic crowd, I tell you. The Troubadour is all ages so there were kids (I do mean kids) and teenagers, my typical indie pop crowd, middle-aged couples, and rednecks. Yes, rednecks, really.

Another weird thing is that when booking shows they quite frequently don't keep the bands playing together in the same vein. For example, The 88 were preceded by two different acoustic acts (Gwendolyn and Patrick Park). Patrick Park wasn't too bad, but he just didn't fit in with the rocking indie and stylish pop that was to follow (that's another thing, very few indie rockers actually have style out here; they tend to wear ill-fitting plaid shirts and jeans that don't do those skinny frames justice). Gwendolyn was unbelievably boring. She wore an enormous 1960s shift dress and sang to us like we were her kindergarten class. Seriously.

But god I love The 88. It was their CD release party, so of course I bought a CD and a poster (I need to decorate the room). Absolutely love the aesthetic--and how could I not since they were quite literally skinny rock 'n' roll boys in suits. The frontman looks like Romain Duris (especially his profile). Now I have to get the first album, but an enhanced version is coming out next month so maybe I should just wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home