Tuesday, September 13, 2005

pocket full of posies and guts

I tried to post this on Friday, but I lost the post during the spell check process. I doubt I can recreate the total wit of it, but I'm going to try. Besides I'm just thrilled to have some personal time to use the internet. I've moved into my place but won't have internet set up until Friday (or so SBC, those fuckers, say). It's like living without running water. I haven't been without internet access at home in more than a decade so this is hard to handle. I've plopped myself at a cafe in Los Feliz. Such a social atmosphere, but what am I doing? Typing in solitude.

Okay, so I went to my first L.A. concert: The Posies at The Knitting Factory. I'm not a huge Posies fan, but I figured I had the time, I wanted to try it out, and I dig the music. The opening acts (The Deathray Davies and Oranger) were pretty good--I especially dug Oranger (despite the fact that only the keyboardist looks the part of an idie-pop rocker). The Posies actually may have been a little too much to handle toward the end. I was tired, it was getting loud, unruly, and weird. Plus, there was crowd surfing. That is so passe. I thought I was in the land of cutting-edge cool? The Posies put on an energizing show, but they are a bit scary (Ken) and fat (Jon). The drummer, however, looks like a straight Tom Felicia.

I tried my hand at making friends at the show but I'm not so sure it worked that well. I was able to converse with a fellow music lover, but I don't know that it will go beyond that isolated concert. I even tried my hand at hitting on some guy, but I guess I have to think more carefully about the subtlies of language. There may be a "winking" difference between "I love your jacket" and "That jacket looks great on you" (went with the former). He just smiled, said thanks, and moved on. But I have to give myself props for actually talking to people. I tried to break into one conversation but then learned it was a first date between two guys. I'm actually very shy, which may be surprising. Always afraid of embarrassing myself, but I figured after I felt asleep in my seminar class on Wednesday I could handle anything this week.

So what other daring things will I do? Only time will tell.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are coming with me to The Echo to see Fifteen Grand play for FREE, and you will wish to god you were alone again. I will be sure to embarass you in front of boys you think are cute. I'm old and married and that's what I do.

This is all happening Thursday night around 8PM.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home