Saturday, January 28, 2006

walking to rock

I recently arrived home from a night of rock at El Cid followed by hijinks at the Brite Spot.

I was so excited. For days I've been telling people that I was going to walk to a concert. You don't understand how important this was to me. I've spent my life without anywhere of interest to walk to. Now I live really close to most of the concerts I go to, but walking still isn't the most practical option--except for tonight at El Cid, which I recently learned was built by D.W. Griffith and he even filmed part of Birth of a Nation there! eek, I know. Cool place, though.

I found out about this concert in a roundabout way, looked up the bands on MySpace, and decided I was going. And oh my god, the second I heard The Plus Ones, I was excited. They actually list Superdrag first under their influences and it's quite evident from a brief listen. They were totally channeling Superdrag throughout the set (in the way that you could tell they like them, but it's their own sound). Then I nearly peed my pants when they played a spot-on cover of "True Believer" from Superdrag's In the Valley of Dying Stars. That was rock! I bought their CD, good stuff. They're San Francisco based so hopefully I'll be able to catch another show or two either here or there.

Satisfaction followed. I enjoyed their sound, but as Anna rightly pointed out, there's something a bit off about them. Like they were thrown together. And the weird thing was how their set abruptly ended. No thanks, no nothing. They just left the stage in a haphazard way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home