Monday, December 04, 2006

no wonder i have a chemical sensitivity to perfume

I returned not that long ago from an advance screening of Perfume: The Story of a Murderer at Paramount Studios. The best part may have been not knowing where to find the theater, walking around, and passing under the famous gates. As a film fanatic, I have to admit it was pretty cool to just wander a studio lot.

Anyway, the movie is beautiful, but it's too damn long. And they pulled that Peter Jackson slo-mo bullshit at the end while I squirmed in my seat. And by the way, you have to completely suspend disbelief to buy into the ending. Something I'm almost positively incapable of doing. And I wanted to like the movie. Allie heard it was bad, and it certainly had its moments of camp (without the gay connotation, though). But it seemed promising with a narrator from the present telling us about pre-revolutionary 18th century Paris. And I wanted to sympathize with our protagonist and his incredible sense of smell. I guess I should just be glad that my sense isn't so strong that I become a murderer. And he's ironically drawn to perfume, but then again, even if with my instant migraines, I'd probably be desperate for it in the filthy, stinky 18th century, too.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Bone said...

I haven't seen Perfume... but I read the book at the beginning of December and loved it. Scent is one of the hardest things to convey on the page, and yet smells are so effective in provoking memories, so it's worth trying if you have the chops to do so as a writer. I thought Süskind did a wonderful job of it, and I'm interested in seeing how it works out on the screen.

It's unfortunate that the ending doesn't come off well in the film, though. It was improbable in the book too, but not totally out of place (given the elements of the fantastic present throughout the novel).

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home