Saturday, September 01, 2007

stephanie gets domestic

In my first successful attempt to make something with the ice cream maker my dad gave me for my birthday more than a year and a half ago, I made a cantaloupe sorbet this morning. I blended a small ripe cantaloupe with some sugar, some lemonade (the recipe called for orange juice, but I didn't have any on hand), and a pinch of salt. When I tasted the unfrozen mixture as I was cleaning up, I thought it was a bit too sweet. But now that I've had it as it's intended, it's not (though there's definitely a sweet aftertaste, not necessarily a bad thing).

Woo-hoo! This gives me confidence to continue making frozen desserts. Next up: earl grey sorbet, which will be consumed with Trader Joe's vanilla gelato since I love a bit of milk in my earl grey but I don't want to fuck it up by adding it to the base (plus, I love sweet icy stuff with frozen dairy).

I also want to make a honeydew sorbet with a strong hint of lime, but honeydews are so damn expensive and few and far between out here. Why is that?!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Alexandra Frank. said...

And why couldn't we have made the earl grey sorbet while I was still in LA?!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Ridiculous Authenticity said...

Tell me these things ahead of time, woman. I thought you only liked green tea.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Alexandra Frank. said...

I'll drink anything that comes from a tea leaf.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home