Monday, April 25, 2005

what happens when cousins marry

I was browsing the Washington Post website in an effort to procrastinate when I came across this rather, um, interesting article on a pair of first cousins from the Altoona, Penn. vicinity who recently wed in Maryland. Yes, Maryland and nineteen other states and the District of Columbia permit first cousins to marry. I had no clue; I thought this was something outlawed in all but Kentucky or West Virginia. I don't know about California's status, but there may be hope for George Michael and Maeby.

What made me really chuckle while reading this article was to see how well this couple fits the stereotype of redneck first cousins in love. He's unemployed, she works at Wal-Wart. They live in a trailer with pets named Beavis and Butthead (postmodern play or coincidence?). They smoke. They frequent Red Lobster. And they went all the way from Altoona to Calvert County (Southern Maryland) to wed. That is one long haul that probably bypassed many other redneck outposts in Maryland along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home