Friday, July 08, 2005

SCUBA man took a dive


For the last two weeks, I've been working at the Architecture Computer Resource Center at the University of Maryland's School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation. While I was never formally a student in the school, I've spent lots of time in the Architecture building during my five years there (three undergrad, two grad), especially the last two. On my first or second day of work I noticed that a tiny SCUBA man action-figure was hanging from a nearly invisible string from the ceiling over what is known as The Great Space (the large center opening of the building which is two stories tall and serves as studio space during busy fall and spring semesters). I thought it was the cutest thing so I tried to take a photo (see the example above), but the combination of my small stature, the high ceiling, and the tiny subject, it really doesn't make sense if you haven't been there. Anyway, earlier this week he disappeared. Dave, the building services guy, took him down! When asked why, he said, "He'd been there for two years!" And I never noticed. Me, the self-described highly observant person didn't notice. Okay, I'll blame it on poor eyesight and the fact that I'd never really seen that space empty (with the exception of SCUBA man) before.

P.S. Click the photo and you can see what I'm talking about more clearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home