Friday, January 13, 2006

louis xiv secrets

You can tell by the time stamp on this that I'm up late. And I had a long day.

I won a pair of free tickets last week to the invite-only Louis XIV concert at the Knitting Factory. After winning I decided I should listen to them and see if I lucked out or not. You can actually listen to their whole album online here, and wow, I fell in love. So I bought the record. I went to the show solo, because people had all sorts excuses for why they couldn't go (busy working, traveling to/from Fresno, or going to Santa Monica of all places!). Well, it was a boring two hours leading to the grand performance that lasted well under an hour and no encore!

The crowd was kind of gross. A mixture of near-rednecks, club girls, and other types of people I don't usually see at concerts and bars I frequent. The more indie looking types were the ones really done up in a trendy sort of way. So yeah, people watching wasn't all that fun. And the band they picked to play in the front room while we all waited for the grand event was quite bad. I was beginning to wonder if it was worth it. So then I pack myself into the main stage area. Actually, it wasn't that tight when I got there, but it filled in. To the point that some middle-aged bleached blonde who took her fashion cues from Working Girl spilled her red wine on one of my favorite shirts. I Shouted the thing like crazy, but I don't think it's going to come out.

But I have to say that despite the short set and only half the band wearing suits (well, three-piece suits sans the blazers), Louis XIV put on an excellent show. It also illustrated the trading of vocals that didn't necessarily occur to me by just listening to the record. They closed the set with my favorite "Pledge of Allegiance."

I'm claiming "Pledge of Allegiance" as my anthem. The tune is catchy as hell and I rather like the storytelling, imagining myself in either role.

"The best little secrets are kept / You're my best little secret yet."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home