Sunday, August 06, 2006

today i did something i've never done before

It's perhaps not as dramatic as it sounds, but Ms. Leadfoot drove nearly ten miles at a rate of 25 mph. I don't understand how anyone could normally drive that slowly. But I also learned that even when you warn people that you're going slow with your flashing lights and something strapped to your roof, people are still either jerks and expect you to pick it up or flat out dumb and trail you forever before they figure out that the empty left lane allows for passing.

The funniest part had to be when the bus passed me. A bus passed me! That is something none of us ever thought was going to happen.

I bought a futon at IKEA this morning. Everything went smoothly at first. I flew through, ordered my thing, paid, and gave the order to be pulled. I went to get my car. I brought the stuff out, and then I learned that IKEA employees are happy to lift your packages and place them on the roof, but they will not assist you in tying them down. Why? Because people are litigation happy and would be all to quick to sue them if something happened on the way home. I tried to plead with the guys and say I wouldn't tell anyone, but no go. However, the guy manding the cart watch felt badly enough for me that he flagged down a nice, unassuming couple to assist me in tying the frame to the roof. With their help I was able to get it really tight. Then I was just determined to go very, very slowly. Luckily the drive was mostly flat and easy.

Getting the stuff in my apartment was another story. The mattress was relatively easy, but the frame weighs 58 pounds and the box is nearly as tall as I am. Getting into the elevator was easy compared to the dance I had to do to get it down the hallway to my apartment. I literally danced with the box. I couldn't lift it once I lost my elevated grip on it and just had to shimmy the thing in a waltz. I was dizzy and sweaty.

There's no way in hell I'm going to attempt to assemble it today. Worst comes to worst and Allie assembles it upon her arrival at the end of the month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home