Saturday, February 20, 2010

south philly experience

More like Total Grease Experience.

Let me back up a bit first. I'm obsessed with the ever-growing crop of gourmet food trucks. Before tonight I can't say that I've had a bad experience with any of these trucks, and by now I've tried more than ten. Some I've been to more than once (Buttermilk, Border Grill, and Dosa) and others I certainly would eat again as well (Gastrobus), among others.

When South Philly Experience announced its arrival some months back I was excited, because like so many other things, I can't find a good cheesesteak in Los Angeles. The creators are from Philly so you think it's going to be good.

Well... I ordered a cheesteak with onions and provolone and a side of sauteed broccoli rabe. The meat itself was incredibly dry yet the sandwich was leaking oil like an old car. Thank god I brought the food back to my car; had I attempted to eat this on the street I would have completely ruined everything I was wearing with grease. Instead, I covered my emergency break in grease before I managed to get it under control with the aluminum foil that covered my greens. That's also when I discovered that they were bathed in a thick pool of oil too. Once I finished the sandwich, which completely lacked the flavor and satisfaction that should come with so many calories, I took a couple bites of the broccoli rabe and declared them inedible. Only salt rivaled the oil for the distaste award.

Ugh. There's a reason they don't venture farther east than the western edges of Hollywood. People over here have taste.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home