Monday, April 28, 2008

an account of an activity i didn't even do

I've been meaning to blog about this for days, but I had a busy weekend.

On one of my trips back from the French film festival, driving along Sunset, I noticed that Flight of the Conchords were set to perform at Amoeba on Thursday, April 24. Great, I thought, I might actually try to go. I hate Amoeba, I hate crowds, and I hate the anxiety waiting for free shit causes (notice how I've stopped blogging about going to free, advance screenings of movies? It's because I haven't been doing it). But I figured I'd give it a shot, what could it hurt, and I had already purchased a ticket to see Son of Rambow at Arclight for an AFI Director's Series screening for later that night.

Turns out I had to go to this school research retreat (we didn't go anywhere but the patio for lunch). I ducked out early, headed to Amoeba, and swung by around 5:15 p.m. (the show was to start at 6:00) to find there was a line already formed half-way around the one-square block Amoeba occupies. Forget it, I yelled! No big deal. I spotted Bret McKenzie in Skylight the previous Sunday, anyway. I got a better look there than I ever would have at Amoeba. hahahaha

I drove home, only to return at 7:00 to grab free parking, eat dinner, and browse around the vicinity. That's when I discovered that I was almost glad I didn't go to the show, because it was filled to the brim with hipsters. They were crawling everywhere. On the sidewalk. In Baja Fresh. In Border's. It was disgusting. They just drive me insane in their herd-like behavior and vapid conversations I inevitably overhear. And it never occurred to me that the Conchords were hipster fodder.

So now I have to grapple with the fact that I actually really like something that is popular. It's odd. You never know. When Amoeba did a Spoon promotion over the summer, I was amazed at how almost no one showed up when they opened, but the Conchords brought a monster crowd. Cash in while you can, guys!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger cornflower23 said...

Like I said at dinner, I was over them after only seeing them perform 3 songs! I hate to say it, but if my boss is into something, it just can't be as cool or funny as I think it is.

or something.

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home