Thursday, September 29, 2005

Supergrass is a gaz, gaz, gaz

One year ago to the day, Allie, Louis, and I saw Supergrass at the 9:30 Club. Allie and I found it quite funny that sometime into the show, Louis inquired as to when they'd play "Sucked Out" or "Do the Vampire" (I can't remember which, Allie will probably refresh our memories through the comment feature). He was confusing Superdrag (r.i.p.) with Supergrass! Tonight I saw Supergrass do a free in-store performance at Amoeba Records in Hollywood. They're playing a sold-out show at The Troubadour tomorrow, which I don't have tickets for (they're going for insane prices: $75/ticket on CL, $200/pair at the charity auction at the show). So I waited, crammed into a store aisle, for more than an hour for a brief nearly acoustic performance (all new songs except "The Fuzz"). Then I waited forty minutes to get the new CD autographed for Allie. I took a couple of photos of the performance, but they aren't that great. These are from when I could get up-close and personal--and I only have these because Lynda, a kind fan offered me her extra batteries in exchange for taking a photo of her with the guys. It goes without saying the performance was excellent, I'm glad I went, etc., etc. The new record is quite a different turn for them, it's a slower pace, more polished sound, but quality and worth a listen to buy.

I should also note that they are very kind to their fans. A couple of times during the waiting period while the stage was being set up, the guys popped out and said hi. They also distributed a ton of sweets a few minutes before they went on--presumably stuff Amoeba had laid out for them, but I wouldn't want to see four men consume that much crap!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home