Saturday, November 12, 2005

what's your name?

What is with the Gap lately? The pants are too long. Still. I returned some stuff I bought online and decided to browse the sale (everyone knows you never buy anything full price there!). Tried on a pair of pants that just a few months ago would have fit perfectly. Not only do I think their waist sizes may be getting bigger (or somehow my post-Halloween binge on mini 3 Musketeers is shrinking me rather than maintaining), but the inseam is still too damn long. But this is not why I write.

I go to the fitting room and the employee asks my name so she can write it on the dry erase board on the door. I ask why they are now doing this, but don't really get an answer. I also tell her "Stephanie," and she says, "You too?" I guess the girl before me was also Stephanie (it's such a rare name, I can't imagine how that could be). But she only writes "Steph." So I wipe it off with my finger and say, "I'd rather it be nothing than Steph. This is why you don't ask people their names." I don't think she liked my response, but I really didn't like being labeled Steph. It's a life-long struggle of setting people straight. It's a tough thing to do without seeming bitchy, so I pick and choose my battles. Gap girl gets it, sorry!

Next time, I'm going to answer "I'd rather be anonymous."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home