Thursday, December 01, 2005

happy birthday, woody!

This article deeply offends my poststructuralist sensibilities by trying to canonize Woody Allen, or worse yet, give some sort of canonic comparison among directors. Alas, while film is a very postmodern art form these days, its critics are not.

Regardless, it's a good piece that praises Allen rightly as one of the greatest American filmmakers. He's certainly one of my favorites as part of my holy trinity that also consists of Albert Brooks and Larry David (solely for Curb Your Enthusiasm). I don't know that I quite agree with LaSalle's hierarchy of Allen's films, but it's a good enough rough sketch for me to use to promote him to you.

Don't tell me you've never seen a Woody Allen film. I think I talked to someone out here in lalaland that hadn't seen any. Oy vey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home