Saturday, February 24, 2007

i'm not gonna touch that

Patterns of people's behavior just baffle me. I try to let others' behavior guide my own. As aggressive as I may seem, I'm constantly trying not to alienate people so I temper my expectations and actions to what I think may be acceptable to others. So when there's a sudden reversal of things, I just don't get what's going on or what my place is. I know I'm not the only one to deal with this, but it's just frustrating. And it makes you want to give up, just curl up, be a fucking hermit and be done with it. But I can't deny, despite my anti-social, introspective tendencies, I'm a social person. People are fascinating to me, and I'm constantly learning things because of people I know and people I meet. But this other side of the coin...

To illustrate just one of the recent frustrations, let me tell you what happened the other night. I went to a concert with a friend. Between sets I noticed an acquaintance standing by himself at the bar, so I decided to be polite and just say hi. In the interest of somewhat full disclosure, I'll say we have a bit of an awkward past, but whenever we've run into each other in the past, there's never been a problem. We couldn't have talked more than two minutes and in that span he made sure to tell me he has a girlfriend he lives with, and in order to stop talking to me he said he really had to go to the bathroom. He clearly thought I was hitting on him, which was not at all the case. I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything at all that would be interpreted that way. And as if I would hit on someone who looked like he hadn't bathed or groomed in days! But after the whole brush off, which in itself wasn't a problem (I was done talking to him anyway), I was left with this feeling of yuck. This is why I don't have the courage to actually approach men I find attractive in public and try my hand at hitting on them. I fear that I then become this joke that I have for this guy. I could give a shit about what he thinks of me, but in the end, it just underscores my uncomfortability with people's behavior and sudden deviations from patterns.

Of course, I'm postmodern and I should expect this kind of thing, but I'm also human.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Alexandra Frank. said...

You, unlike me, like to explain your blog post titles within the post. Where did you get "i'm not gonna touch that"? Is it the stinky guy who thought you were hitting on him?

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home