Sunday, February 18, 2007

the infamous truman capote

Today I watched Infamous, which is Douglas McGrath's take on Truman Capote's writing of In Cold Blood, the same subject of Capote. It's been a good year since I saw Capote, but I have to say that I find Infamous more compelling. Its tale is certainly a bit more controversial. For god's sake, James Bond kisses Truman Capote! In Capote it appears that he's just a total asshole toward Perry Smith, using him for his own gain. Infamous makes Capote more sympathetic, suggesting that he and Smith had an emotional bond and sexual tension (it outright tells you Smith was gay, which I don't remember from Capote). I can see why this was the Capote film that got swept under, but I enjoyed it more, not least of because I'm partial to McGrath's work.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger EcamirG said...

McGrath is gaining a lot of traction, in my opinion. I loved Infamous, and when you tack it onto Born Yesterday, Bullets Over Broadway, and some of his other work (it's tough to tell if Company Man is really as bad as it really is), he's rapidly compiling a strong list of credits. Definitely someone to watch.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Ridiculous Authenticity said...

Company Man is a romp! And you can't forget Emma--such a strong debut. Nicholas Nickelby would be grand if only the title character could act.

1:47 AM  
Blogger Alexandra Frank. said...

I don't need Capote to be sympathetic, but I have to admit that Infamous (2006) always sounded more interesting than Capote (2006). Witty, even, and McGrath can do witty. Now I just wanna see Bond kiss Capote! How sensational!

I should note that I wanna see him as Francis Bacon's criminal-lover, too. Can't wait to get back to AmeriKa so I can see all this.

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home