Saturday, December 10, 2005

rethinking sprawl

I'm a city person. I just happen to have lived my whole life (until August) in the suburbs. Since then I have technically taken up residence in a city, but one people (including myself) often scuff at for its suburban leanings. But let me tell you, once you've lived in Los Angeles, there are some clear distinctions between city and suburb out here. That's not to say that there aren't tons of places that blur the line. It isn't so much the density factor, but instead the design and streetscape. As soon as I cross into Glendale from Silver Lake through Atwater Village, I know I'm in the suburbs and it turns my stomach.

Anyway, check out this article from yesterday's Los Angeles Times on Sprawl: A Compact History by Robert Bruegmann which counters anti-sprawl rhetoric with a historical perspective on the origins and purposes of sprawl. I actually know Bruegmann; we were co-panelists at the recent SACRPH conference (the only two papers to show up for our panel).

As a suburban hater, it's definitely something to think about. I restrict my scholarship to urban living and phenomenon but that doesn't mean that I'm not acutely aware of the suburbs. You can't have (or investigate) one without the other. As much as I loathe suburban living, I want people to take on that life so I can have a more pleasant experience in the city. And I don't need no stinking country house! We all know my idea of nature is a manicured city park.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Allie comes to visit, I'm not opening my mouth.

But, I agree on the awkwardness of that sentence she highlighted, I had to read it 4 times with different emphasis before I figured out what you meant. You mean "one" referring to the city.

Don't you just love this?

Is this why you walk around agitated and frustrated all the time?

4:38 PM  
Blogger Ed Meers said...

I grew up in the inner city in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, lived a few years in Europe and now live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada - a city of 1 million. The sprawl is as endemic here as anywhere in North America and it's so sad, driving through the cookie cutter suburbs. Is there no wonder that we are losing our creativity and tuning in to so much crap? We really need to build our cities upward as opposed to outward and bring back "the neighbourhood".

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home