Wednesday, February 08, 2006

another odd year: stephanie turns 23

In the beginning of Defending Your Life, Albert Brooks's character (Daniel) says he plans to spend his birthday driving alone in his new BMW. His friend (played by James Eckhouse, aka Mr. Walsh) asks why he'd want to be alone on his birthday, to which Daniel responds, "What better day to be alone? I was born alone, I should be alone." You know I love Albert Brooks, but that is one idiotic statement. Was the vagina (and its owner) not in the room when you passed through it? Come on now.

Not only is the statement logically ridiculous, I don't agree with its meaning either. What better day to not be alone? I spend most of my time alone, and lately I've felt really lonely, which only intensified with my coming birthday and realizing that the people who have surrounded me for years can't physically be there. And it doesn't help that they write how much they miss me in their cards, either.

The day got off to a rocky start since I only got three hours of sleep. I had to get up early for my 8:30 class. It's a miracle I was able to stay up. It was my birthday and I was determined to enjoy it. I couldn't have asked for better weather. I was born during an ice storm, in which my parents drove from the then rural-urban fringe to Georgetown. Today it was well into the 80s. This is the first time I've spent my birthday in a non-winter climate. Last year it was in the 60s in the D.C. area, but the 80s, man, it's unbelievable. I'm not exactly itching for the days of uncertainty about my birthday plans, because you never know if the weather is going to keep you from traveling.

Between my classes I took a little (unsuccessful) shopping break on Lake Ave. in Pasadena. I'm obsessed with the idea of a new pair of shoes, and since I was told not to spend my birthday money on necessities, well, I should obey with a new pair of shoes. During this sprint, I got a surprise call from Andrew, the prospective Ph.D. student I hung out with about a month ago. He was freaking out about not having heard back when the school said he would. As someone who frequently experiences such anxiety episodes (especially lately), I'm surprisingly good at calming people down about that kind of thing.

The evening activities I had been hoping for failed to come through, but that's when good, sincere friends pick up the pieces. Anna and Mark took me to dinner at Malo, where we dined al fresco! Quite excellent food and an equally strong and tasty tequila sunrise. Then we walked over to Tiki Ti, where I had part of a rather massive tequila/fruit concoction. It was so big and heavy I needed both my tiny hands to support it. It was also very strong. But, no, I failed to get drunk. I don't think I was even tipsy. We dropped Mark off and then Anna and I went to Bigfoot Lodge, where we didn't drink anymore. Just a place to sit and talk.

And that was it. A lowkey celebration, which is what I wanted. Until next year...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home