Wednesday, February 07, 2007

something i never imagined i'd hear diane lane say...

"Does she blow smoke rings through her cunt?!"

Oh my god I howled when I heard that in Hollywoodland. Very good movie, by the way.

Though I have to say that the title bugs the hell out of me (and it has since I first heard it in connection with the plot). What we know as the Hollywood sign (which I can see from my apartment) originally read "Hollywoodland." It was a giant advertisement for a new housing development in the Hollywood Hills called, you guessed it, Hollywoodland. This damn name doesn't really have to do with the entertainment industry. But, of course, only freaks like me that are obsessed with history (housing history, no less) pay attention to this. It only further underscores how this town was really made by real estate. Land, baby, it's the gold of the twentieth century and beyond.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home