Saturday, March 01, 2008

penelope

Today, Andrew and I saw Penelope at The Landmark (the chain's poor man's Arclight), partly because we both think James McAvoy is really hot. Oh man, he didn't disappoint (as if he could; the man is even sexier in person). Plus, the theater had costumes from Atonement on display. Andrew actually took a photo of McAvoy's tux from the film with his phone! Also on display is the green dress Keira Knightley wears (reason enough for the film to deserve best costume design, but of course it lost). I'm happy to report that the dress didn't look nearly as amazing on the mannequin, so props to Knightley! (I can't believe I just typed "props.")

Anyway, I highly recommend Penelope. It's visually stunning, the story is heartwarming and positive, it's very funny, and the acting is solid. I don't understand why the film sat on the shelf for two years, but it's well documented that my tastes diverge from Hollywood's and the public's, so who knows.

It may be a while before I can report on my next film-going experience. The next one I want to see is Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, which opens on Friday. But I'm waiting for Allie to arrive in town on the 12th for that one. It feels wrong to miss the opening weekend, but it's a small price to pay to go to the movies with my sister! You know I'm up past my bed time when I start to get sappy like that.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Alexandra Frank. said...

Aww! It ain't a movie-watching experience without you, either! I am thinking of writing that I am that adjective Linda Richman always said she was, but I don't know how to spell it. V-e-r-k-l-e-m-p-t?

By the way, why beat yourself up about saying "props"? I thought you were making a pun, and as you know, there is never anything wrong with a pun.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home