Monday, January 16, 2006

have you had your 99¢ experience yet?

Even when I visited L.A. in June before moving here in August, I found it kind of amusing to see everywhere these large 99¢ Only stores. Of course I was already familiar with the concept; there are $1 stores all over the place in the D.C. area. But in L.A. I have only seen this chain, and the price is a strict one penny shy of what I was used to. For the first time, I entered one today on a mission for tissue paper since I live a mere three blocks away.

Oh my god I couldn't believe the stuff they had. This location, which is far from the largest I've seen, is jammed with all kinds of stuff--well beyond the scope of $1 stores back east. Sure some of it is off-brand stuff you've never heard of, but I couldn't believe the quantity and variety of brand names in all kinds of household materials that you pay at least three times the price for elsewhere. Need school supplies? Blank VHS tapes? Candy? Have you ever wondered where you might find Shasta outside a hospital? They even sell food, including some "fresh" (honestly, it looked decent) produce.

Hell, you can even get a pregnancy test. I saw it at the checkout. Really slick marketing. That's definitely the kind of impulse buy so many women make. Though I didn't see any of my current favorite accessories, condoms--magnum (XL) or not.

Brave the horrendous music (bad covers of good '80s songs) and see what you might find. What a treasure trove.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home