Sunday, May 07, 2006

back from the dead

Well, I'm back. I needed some time to decompress before I could even blog about it. For about a week I was locked in my apartment, only emerging occasionally to get some dinner, except the last 48 hours when I never even opened the door. I had to frantically write two term papers, and I really didn't think I was going to make it. I did, and I learned a couple of things in the process:

1. Don't think that taking three full seminars, working 20 hours a week, and perfecting the art of academic slackerdome is a realistic strategy. Stated differently, take only two courses.

2. The death penalty is more humane than solitary confinement. At least I had the internet, a cell phone, and DVDs to simulate humanity--and I still wanted to kill myself!

When I emerged, I learned something terrible had happened. I found out that one of my favorite bands broke up. Yes, The Bonapartes claim to be no more. I guess I'm hoping it's just a publicity stunt to sell out the Black Cat on June 2. And considering the internet "frenzy" (i.e. I'm not the only one who thought they really had something and were going places) I saw on their demise, it just might. So I've sent Allie to buy advance tickets.

That brings me to other news. I moved up my trip east to June 1-13. Yes, I will embarrassingly admit that wanting to go to the last Bonapartes show had something to do with it. But I'm not fucking insane enough to rearrange my life for something as trivial as that. The truth is, I want to see Allie, I still don't have a summer job so my schedule isn't set, and I didn't like the way that the prime visiting time was sucked up by this trip to Charlotte, North Carolina. Southwest is great (though I hate the no seat assignment thing). They don't charge a fee to change your ticket, and I was able to get the same promotional fare.

Some other random shit:

I don't usually promote the awesome food places I go to, but I'm going to do it for once. It just opened, and I want it to stay in business. Check out Spitz on Colorado in Eagle Rock. I had been waiting for them to open for months. Oh man, incredible food, reasonably priced, and apparently only sexy men work there. They also have gelato, but amazingly I didn't try it because I was full from dinner.

Rent is one of the worst movies I've seen in a really long time. How can people even stand the music? The lyrics are trite and flat-out stupid and the music really sucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home