Saturday, April 29, 2006

i'd come to mama if only it was signed better

Since people, when finding out I'm getting a Ph.D. in urban planning, often remark about the need for planning or ask my advice on how to overhaul things and then I have to explain how I don't plan (and no one with a Ph.D. in planning does). But you know what, I'm going to offer some advice now: when opening a store, have an easy-to-read sign that makes some sense to both drivers and pedestrians (adjust as needed to specific sites).

What brings this about? During each of Andrew's visits to L.A. in the last few months, he's asked me about (and we've tried to spot) the store Come to Mama, which is owned by a friend of his sister's that they hadn't heard from in awhile. He was convinced it was very near where I live. But I couldn't locate it. Then a couple of weeks ago I was walking and noticed a partially painted over "come to ma." Aha! I've located its former location, and assumed it was gone. Then tonight I was walking around there again and while waiting for the walk signal, I noticed that Come to Mama is alive and well. Hell, Allie and I walked through it when she visited in December (I live among all these cute little shops I never go into because they are overpriced and not really all that useful to me, but somehow I get some sort of pleasure out of their existence...I mean, it's a lot better than some chain shit).

The reason I couldn't find the damn place--even as a pedestrian with time to contemplate and stare at signs on the opposing block--is its stupid sign. The store is very narrow and is adjacent to another store that is its mirror image. Together they have this ridiculous sign (I'll take a photo and post it when I get a chance). Between the color scheme and the font, it's almost unreadable. The names are positioned vertically rather than horizontally, which further adds to the confusion (and Come to Mama is on top, but it's located on the right).

Then I googled the thing, discovered it was "mama" rather than "mamma" and found this synopsis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home