Wednesday, April 25, 2007

fountains of stream of consciousness

Check out the interview with Adam Schlesinger I've linked you to above. Although there is really no discussion of Fountains of Wayne's latest CD, it completely made me want to go listen to it with the intent to buy. The whole success of "Stacey's Mom" really put me off. I've been a fan since the "Radiation Vibe" days, though I tend to prefer "I've Got a Flair" from their debut album. They write ironic little pop ditties, that's what I love. But "Stacey's Mom" was so damn popular that when I was substitute teaching at the high school I attended I overheard some kid tell another that Fountains of Wayne could never do a serious song after that one. I butted in and told him that if you knew the band, you'd know they've never had "serious" songs. Plus, actually, I thought that album (Welcome Interstate Managers) sucked pretty badly. It was no Utopia Parkway. "Red Dragon Tattoo" is just too damn good. I used to have this humongous t-shirt that read "Red Dragon Tattoo" and "Fountains of Wayne" on either side of it that I got at a concert in 1999. I wore that shirt out. It was a night shirt that I'd run around the house in. I eventually had to throw it out when the tiny hole in the armpit stretched to the point where you could see my tits through it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Alexandra Frank. said...

I thought "I Want An Alien for Christmas" was rather serious for them.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home